Selected Works of Original Poetry and Painting by Omar Baños

Poet, artist, and activist Omar Banos provides original poetry and artwork for the MSMGF Blog this week. Omar has worked in HIV prevention and AIDS treatment education for over a decade, with special focus on MSM organizations in Latin America.

*Conjugado / Inflection

                                     
                                 Tú y yo en la plenitud que nos desnuda                                     
En esa forma tuya que me envuelve
En el deseo mío que te encierra
En mi mano, en mi boca, en mi alma.

Empezamos el acto y descubrimos
Que yo igual que tú, soy más que un cuerpo
Inerte que pretende comer tu
Carne.  Soy alma, fuerte que te vive.

Todo este espacio, esta pasión terca  
Nos amarran las manos, nos dibujan
Con polen las cadenas del deseo
Y nos dejan jugar con nuestra esencia.

Tú y yo más allá de esa forma
De cintura, de pies, de uñas blancas
Conjugamos la esencia que radica
Debajo de tu ombligo y el mío:

Tu semen conjugado con el mío
Se perdían perfumados  sobre el fuego
Debajo del silencio premature
Detrás de caricias y gemidos
En esta plenitud desesperada.

Mi semen conjugado con el tuyo,
En esta forma mía que te atrapa,
Se hicieron cataratas de amapolas
Se hicieron fugaces pretensions
De promesas de amor, de pena y muerte.


You and I in the plenitude that undresses us
In your own way of wrapping me
In my own desire that enshrines you
In my hand, my mouth, my soul.

We start the act and discover

That I am, like you, more than an inert body
That pretends to eat your core
I am a soul, a strong soul that lives you.

This entire space, this stubborn passion

Tie our hands up, draw
The chains of desire with pollen
And let us play with our essence.

You and I beyond the shapes
Of waist, of feet, of white finger nails,
Inflect the essence that lives
Under your navel and mine:

Your semen inflected with mine
Got lost, scented atop the fire
Under the premature silence
Behind the touching and moaning
In this desperate plenitude.

My semen inflected with yours,
In my very own form that seizes you,
Became waterfalls of poppies
Became fugacious pretensions
Of promises of love, heartache and death.


Cuando dormías / Asleep


 
La noche pasó entre tus besos y los míos;
Nos encontró desnudos el ocaso;
Nos descubrió la luna entre sábanas,
Cuando radiante erguías tus labios
Buscando el precipicio de mi cuerpo,
Cuando quise hacerte mi existencia.

Por eso puedo verte como ayer:
Dormido con tus labios de estupor,
Entre abiertos, que esperan lo vivido.
Tanto tiempo caído, tantos pétalos! 
Puedo acariciarlos con mi índice,

Hacer líneas perfectas en tu piel,
Labrar tu sangre fresca con la mía,
Y arrancar tu alma de la muerte.
Aquel fue nuestro último desnudo.
Ya no más ilusiones en la lluvia

De este perfecto invierno que nos moja.

Llegó el beso y la piel que se desviste
En aquella baranda de aquel viejo
Apartamento húmedo de sabia.

Y me doy cuenta que tus besos y tu olor
Son tan distantes como el sur y el norte.

Pero a pesar de todo me quisiste
Hicimos el amor y existimos.
Despedida amor.  Te he vivido.


The night proceeded between your kisses and mine
The dusk found us nude;
The moon discovered us between the sheets
When you erected your lips radiantly,
Searching for my body’s precipice
When I wanted to make you my existence.

That is why I can see you like yesterday:
Asleep with your lips of stupor
Barely open, waiting for what has been lived.
So much fallen time, so many petals!
I can caress them with my index finger,
Make perfect lines on your skin,
Carve your fresh blood with mine
And tear your soul off of death.
That was our last bareness.
No more dreams under the rain

Of this perfect winter soaking us.
The kiss arrived, so did the skin undressing itself
On the rails of the old
Sultry apartment.

But you still loved me none the less
We made love and we existed.
Farewell love.  I have lived you


Fauno / Faun
For Adolfo



De un soplo me inventas el mundo
Con un caballo sin alas galopas
Desde el pecho del mar hasta mi bosque
Lleno de nombres, formas, sombras mágicas.

Yo las encuentro, las veo, las toco
como un enigma blanco me galopas
Y te voy descubriendo maravillado
Porque tus ojos verdes son marrones
Y tus labios de ámbar son de miel.

Tu música, el silencio, el desconcierto
Y el cuerpo de tu cuerpo en el mío
Van encontrando voces y siluetas
En las cosas mundanas como el sexo.

Galopas alto, firme, elegante
Y del caballo sin alas te bajas
Con esas cosas tuyas de encanto
De un sueño, de un fauno, de un hombre
Que te persiguen con espadas mudas
Y me buscas así, con manos verdes
Con tu flauta de plata en tu espalda.

Y de nuevo galopas y cantas y sonríes
Antes de hacerte humano en mis labios
Antes de darme el mundo de un soplo.

You create the world with a waft for me
and gallop with a wingless horse
From the sea’s chest to my forest
Filled with names, shapes, mystic shadows.

I find them, I see them, I touch them
you gallop me like a silver enigma
and I am marveled, uncovering you
Because your green eyes are brown
And your amber lips are of honey.

Your music, the silence, the bewilderment
And your body’s body in mine
Are finding the voices and the silhouettes
In the earthy things like sex

You gallop high, firm, elegant
And you dismount from the wingless horse
With your own gripping possessions
of a dream, of a faun, of a man
that chase you with taciturn swords
and you search for me, with your green hands
with your silver flute on your back

and you gallop, and sing, and smile again
before becoming human in my lips
before giving me the world in a waft.

*Poems originally written in Spanish. English translations were provided specifically for the MSMGF Blog by the author.